Welcome To The Image And The Word
9th Annual Exhibit - 2016
The Image and the Word is a photography-inspires-poetry art exhibit annually produced by Derek Liebertz and Yvonne Cariveau with the wonderful cooperation of the Southern MN Poetry Society and local photographers, including members of the Bend of the River Photography Club. This year's exhibition will be shown from April 21, 2016 through May 18, 2016 at the Emy Frentz Guild (located at 523 S. 2nd Street, Mankato, MN).
Following the initial run, we also hope to display the exhibit at both the North Mankato public library and the Coffee Hag as we did in 2015 (exact dates to be determined later). Discussions are also in the works for a limited showing at Tandem Bagels!
Here's How It Goes...
- Photographers submit photos for consideration.
- Photos are reviewed and finalists are chosen for display.
- CURRENTLY: Poets write poems [log in first!] inspired by the selected photos.
- Framed photos and mounted poems will be hung in the Emy Frentz Guild gallery.
- Fun reception - performance art event - with poets and photographers, wine and yummy snacks and a fun vote for favorites.
- The public comes and enjoys the images and poems and sometimes they buy the ones they like best to hang in their office or home.
2013 Winners as voted by the opening reception crowd:
- Favorite poem - Mama Gaia by Esther Marcella, Retirement by Susan Stevens Chambers and Metal Dream by Henry Panowitsch
- Favorite picture - "The Old Allis" photo by John Othoudt
- Favorite pairing - Seeking the Chalmers by Christina Flaugher and "The Old Allis" photo by John Othoudt
2012 Winners as voted by the opening reception crowd:
- Favorite poem - Window by John Calvin Rezmerski
- Favorite picture - The Witness Tree by Kay Helms
- Favorite pairing - Artists Colors by Terri DeGazelle and the accompanying poem by Susan Stevens Chambers
Sample videos of poems being read:
Poem submissions are being accepted until end-of-day on Sunday April 17, 2016.
If you do have not an account on the website, follow the "Create an account" link just below the login button on the right.